We're celebrating Meatless Mondays with balanced, delicious meal plans. We hope you'll join us -- whether you're vegetarian all the time or just here and there.
Today: Improve upon perfection.
We respect the mantra "Don't mess with perfection," but we won't let it dictate our meals. So while scrambled eggs and buttered toast make for a perfectly delicious dinner, we're advocating for a few small changes that will make this meal even more perfect.
More: If you want to pass on the eggs, try this vegan tofu scramble instead.
Use an ingenious technique to make the fluffiest eggs you'll ever taste, and add a little bulk to your toast with some mashed avocado. If you want to keep going, try adding a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Congratulations: You've just outdone yourself.
Serves 2, but easily doubled or tripled
2 ripe avocados
Parmesan and sliced radishes, optional
You probably have eggs, olive oil, salt, and black pepper, plus spices of your liking (red pepper flakes, paprika, ground cumin) in your kitchen. If not, add those to the list.
1. Slice and toast the bread (we recommend 2 slices per person). Meanwhile, cut open the avocados and scoop out the inside, allocating 1/3 to 1/2 per each slice. Mash the avocado onto the toast with a fork and top with flaky salt and any other spices you fancy. Set the avocado toast aside -- don't worry, you won't have to wait long.
2. Crack 4 eggs into a medium-sized mesh sieve and let the thin whites drain away. Transfer the remaining whites and yolks to a small bowl and beat vigorously for 20 seconds.
3. Set a strainer in the sink. Fill a medium saucepan with about 4 inches of water and set the pot over medium heat. When the water is at a low boil, add a few generous pinches of salt, then stir in a circle to create a vortex. Pour the eggs into the moving water, cover the pot, and count to 20.
4. Turn off the heat and uncover the pot. You should be looking at eggs floating on the surface in ribbons. Hold back the eggs with a spoon and pour off most of the water into the strainer. Gently slide the eggs into the strainer and press lightly to drain excess liquid.
5. Scoop the eggs onto plates alongside the avocado toast, drizzle everything with olive oil, and season with black pepper. Eat as is, or make an open-faced sandwich with the eggs, Parmesan, and sliced radishes.
Photos by James Ransom