For our Provisions shop, we search for the best and most beautiful things for our kitchen and home. And since we like to think outside the box, we’re showing you all the different ways to use some of our favorite pieces.
Today: A quietly beautiful porcelain container becomes much more when you use it in every room.
Organizing your kitchen (and home for that matter) always seems to turn up little knick-knacks: safety pins, a handful of mismatched matchboxes, and a plate of cookies that won’t fit inside your already-packed freezer.
When it comes to cleaning up, we believe that everything should have a specific place for when it's not being used. This can present a problem: Do you really need an entire drawer dedicated to bobby pins and extra keys? No, that's called a junk drawer.
What you need is a nice-looking catch-all container -- we’ve been using this flat lidded dish from a small potter based in Portland, Oregon. It’s glazed on the inside, so you can use it for food; it’s six inches across, which makes it the perfect size for small side dishes; and the flat lid means you can fill it with odds and ends to hide them from view.
Here are six ways we're using it now:
1. Use it to make ordinary items look extraordinary: candies on a hallway table, for example.
2. Or skip a standard vase and plant a mini succulent in it.
4. Put small extras like matches it in and close the lid.
5. Since it's so neutral and simple, we even use it in the bathroom for storing cotton balls.
6. Plus, it's the perfect size and shape for nuts, olives, and snacks for guests.
Next on our list as the weather warms is to fill it with sand and a small votive candle and light an outdoor dinner table.
Tell us (and help inspire us!), what would you use it for?