Congratulations to SML Office, whose Louisa's Cake won this week's contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta, earning her a handsome Provence Hand Painted Serving Bowl from Williams-Sonoma, plus big prizes from Viking, OXO and Tiny Prints, and a spot in the next food52 cookbook!
Q&A with SML Office
- Describe an early food experience that has influenced the way you think about food and/or cooking.
- That is such a great question and I wish I had a definite answer because baking and cooking started very, very early for me. Like my son, I believe it was age 4. And I remember obsessing over and organizing recipes in the second grade. But where it came from is a mystery. I remember seeing the Julia Child parody on SNL in the 70s and feeling bad for her, thinking that I felt the same attachment to the kitchen and wondering why people mocked her attention to detail and enthusiasm.
- What's your least favorite food?
- What is the best thing you've made so far this year?
- Eggplant Parmigiana. It's all about The Aubergine these days for some reason. Mostly grilling it with a brush stroke of olive oil and sea salt at the end.
- Describe your most spectacular kitchen disaster.
- Every buttercream for the kid's birthday cakes has ended in disaster. Without fail, year after year.
- What is your idea of comfort food?
- Spaghetti Bolognese with Coca-Cola in a glass bottle.
- Apron or no apron?
- What's your favorite food-related scene in a movie?
- Emma Recchi (Tilda Swinton), eating a plate of prawns in I am Love.
- If you could make a show-stopping dinner for one person, living or dead, who would it be?
- I would have my brother with me in a mountain chalet while it's snowing like mad and I'm making him the perfect Swiss fondue. He loved cheese more than anyone.
- You prefer to cook: a. alone, b. with others, c. it depends on your mood
- C. It depends on my mood
- When it comes to tidying up, you usually: a. clean as you cook, b. do all the dishes once you've finished cooking, c. leave the kitchen a shambles for your spouse/roommate/kids to clean.
- The answer used to be C. but now after living in Switzerland it's become A. cleaning as I cook.
SML Office's son in the kitchen; the lovely Provence Hand Painted Serving Bowl she's won from Williams-Sonoma!
Sign up now and get $10 when we open.