If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Congratulations to SouffleBombay, whose Sweet & Spicy Calamari won this week's contest for Your Best Squid or Octopus , earning her a sleek All-Clad d5 Stainless Steel French Skillet from Williams-Sonoma, plus big prizes from Viking, OXO and Tiny Prints, and a spot in the next food52 cookbook!
Photos: SouffleBombay with her kids who cook; her winning Sweet & Spicy Calamari.
Q&A with SouffleBombay
- Describe an early food experience that has influenced the way you think about food and/or cooking.
- When I was 9 I made a cake for my family from my first cookbook (which I had received for Christmas.) Believe it or not it was a Sesame Street Cookbook! I made a crazy chocolate cake covered in popcorn of all things -- it was called a Blizzard Cake. As I carried the cake out to my four siblings, mom, dad and grandmom -- all eyes upon me and my cake -- I felt empowered and excited. I swear that right then and there was the defining moment for me [in food] and I can vividly recall how I felt. Since then I have been smitten with cooking up tasty treats for my family and friends!
- What's your least favorite food?
- I am seriously a picky eater -- but I will go with oysters! Blech!
- What is the best thing you've made so far this year?
- I LOVE cooking with my kids (9 and 6) so anything we whip up is high on my list. Last week my 6 year old daughter took the lead on making a simple appetizer of chicken wrapped in bacon served with a BBQ dipping sauce. Dad grilled it up and, I have to say, seeing her satisfied little face as we all enjoyed it made it memorable!
- Describe your most spectacular kitchen disaster.
- Just married and missing home a bit, I cooked up a chicken as my Mom and Dad did most Sundays. When I went to cut it ... no meat! I was so upset, I couldn't understand what kind of a store sells a chicken with no meat! I put it in the trash and cried! My bewildered husband, who quietly walked over to the trash, took a look at the chicken and said "Sweetie, it was just upside down!"
- What is your idea of comfort food?
- Appetizers ... anytime! Me, my husband and friends with some great apps and a cocktail is bliss for me!
- Apron or no apron?
- No apron.
- What's your favorite food-related scene in a movie?
- Think it had to do with Johnny Depp and Chocolate ... remember Chocolat? So sexy! BOTH Johnny AND the chocolate!
- If you could make a show-stopping dinner for one person, living or dead, who would it be?
- Cary Grant! LOVE him! He would probably make me laugh the whole time!
- You prefer to cook: a. alone, b. with others, c. it depends on your mood
- It depends on my mood.
- When it comes to tidying up, you usually: a. clean as you cook, b. do all the dishes once you've finished cooking, c. leave the kitchen a shambles for your spouse/roommate/kids to clean.
- B, unless it's a huge party I am prepping for in which case I clean as needed and the hubs takes care of the trail of debris behind me!
- SouffleBombay and her daughter in a winning baking moment; the lovely All-Clad d5 Stainless Steel French Skillet she's won from Williams-Sonoma!
Keep It Bubbly
Stretch the sparkle in your sparkling wine
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Transform the humble shoebox.
Get your shine on.