Cooks often attempt to lighten up coleslaw by removing the mayonnaise from the dressing. But why take away the joy? Instead, lighten it by replacing the sturdy cabbage with crisper, featherweight napa cabbage. Here, sliced almonds and sesame seeds add a little crunch and heft, and ginger brightens up the dressing. Add as much mayonnaise as you like. A giant dollop, you crazy cat!
- 1/2 to 1 napa cabbage, trimmed and very thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons basil leaves, thinly sliced (or torn)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 to 5 tablespoons olive oil
Sign up now and get $10 when we open.