Every cook has dishes that she orders when in a restaurant but never makes at home. Let's call these barrier recipes. In the spirit of trying to get past my own barrier recipes -- which usually involve shellfish or a grill -- I've recreated the squid salad that I order every time we go to Motorino. I grilled the squid to give it a little char and then tumbled it together with whole parsley leaves, slices of boiled potato, some capers, red pepper flakes, and a dousing of lemon. It took 10 minutes. And I felt pretty dumb for not tackling this sooner. Watch out clams: I'm coming after you next!
- 3/4 pound squid
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if needed
- 6 baby white potatoes (or any small variety), boiled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup flatleaf parsley leaves
- Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
Like this post? See Amanda's post from last week: Raspberry and Honey Cranachan
Photos by Jennifer Causey
Sign up now and get $10 when we open.