- The cook doing her stovetop thing and a bowl of her winning Mussels for One (or Two) -- the perfect seafood supper.
Here at Food52, we almost always wish we'd had dinner last night at lastnightsdinner's house. With six wins spanning both the first and second Food52 Cookbooks, two runners-up and 22 Editors' Picks -- the numbers say it all. But the beauty of this "desk jockey by day, home cook and food blogger by night" out of Providence, RI is only confirmed by the stats. Instinctual yet disciplined, lastnightsdinner is a cook whose food has soul and, if you've ever made one of her recipes, you know you can taste the love.
There are so many hits, so many dishes we all make again and again (the mark of a great recipe, no doubt). And she has something to please every palate -- for the Italophilic among us, from gnudi to cacciatore (a.k.a. Hunter's-Style Chicken) she's got us covered; for those who cook for crowds, Short Rib Chili or Borrachos and her Classic Caesar. You could even do a lastnightsdinner Dinner Party (gotta love a woman whose ideal number of guests is 8-12). We're thinkin' Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs as an hors d'oeuvres, followed by Seared Scallops with Spring Onion and Tarragon Cream or Beef Chopped Salad. How fitting that she would be the first cook lit up by our redesigned spotlight -- truly an all-star in our book. Huzzah!
- What is the strangest food you have ever eaten?
either lamb kidneys or grilled duck hearts, both of which were delicious
- What do you cook when home alone?
it varies, but will usually have an egg on top
- Your most treasured kitchen possession:
my Wusthof chef's knife
- Your ideal meal:
migas at my Grandma's kitchen table
- Something you'd like a chance to eat or cook:
the tasting menu at Le Bernardin
- The number of bottles of wine you own:
not nearly enough
- The ideal number of guests for a dinner party is:
- Kitchen pet peeve:
dirty or cluttered countertops
- Your favorite cookbook:
Sunday Suppers at Lucques
- A plate of her winning Linguine with Sardines, Fennel & Tomato and the latest addition to lastnightsdinner's table: Julian.