Inspired by the Saveur 100 list, pierino started a lively discussion on the FOOD52 Hotline about your favorite food-related finds of 2011. We had a lengthy staff email chain that was pretty similar. So we took the highlights from both, tallied things up and put together a list of our own.
We didn't end up with exactly 100 items but we have a lucky number around here (can you guess what it is?), so we went with it. And here it is: The FOOD52 "52"
3. Evernote: If I adapt or use a recipe in a cookbook that I like well enough to make again - it goes straight into Evernote with my notes attached. Digital cooking has changed the way I cook, and the way I eat in many respects. -BurntOfferings
12. Lucky Peach
16. Modernist Cuisine: The ultimate food geek's treasure. If you've gotten your hands on a copy, you know why.
17. Penguin's Great Food Series: Classic food writing in exciting little packages. The book designs make you want to buy them all, and why shouldn't you?
18. Remedy Quarterly: A small and sweet quarterly filled with lively writing and "recipes for feeling good."
19. Eataly: Yes, we're fans. The chocolate hazelnut truffles are a daily indulgence at our office. And lunch wouldn't be the same without Eataly nearby.
21. Pasta di Gragnano: The dried pasta from Italy's first dried-pasta factory is pressed through rough bronze forms and dried in the cool mountain air of Graganano outside Naples. The result: homey, toothsome pasta primed to cling to any kind of sauce.
22. Bulleit's Rye
23. Gotham Greens: We love local produce, and these delicate lettuces and beautiful herbs are grown right in Brooklyn.
25. Five Acre Farms Local Milk: Positively local. We're happy to be within this farm-to-table company's 275-mile radius.
28. Red quinoa
29. American Cheesemongers: Something exciting is going on in the domestic cheese world. Artisanal raw milk cheeses are being produced right under our noses, and while we love a great import, we're thrilled to support the cheesemakers next door.
31. Benton's Bacon: Everything you wished bacon could be: thick, porky, and oh-so-smoky. It's the favorite of many chefs, and you can get it sent to your door.
34. NOMA: There's no denying that the restaurant, the chef, and the book were all major talking points in 2011.
35. The FOOD52 Cookbook: Cheers to our community for making this happen!
36. Home Made by Yvette Van Boven: We love the idea here -- make more things at home -- and we're doing our best to take on more DIY projects in our kitchens.
38. Baking competitions at Omnivore Books in San Francisco: Lucky you, if you live in San Francisco!
46. Tableware from CB2: Don't be surprized if you see a few pieces from here in upcoming FOOD52 photos.
47. Bellocq Teas’ The White Duke: We're smitten with Bellocq's packaging. So far their 'The White Duke' blend is our favorite.
51. L.A. Burdick's almond madeleines & Milk Hot Chocolate Mix
52. Saveur's Garlic Peeling Video (see below): This video (and the method) has already become a classic.
Get $10 off your first purchase of $50 or more.