It’s easy to pull out all the stops for an entrée. It’s the main dish, so we often think about it as needing to be the most interesting or impressive, while the sides and salads get lost. Sometimes, though, there is beauty in a simple main and something a little more exciting to go with it. This Dinner Tonight is just that. Basic (but delicious!) chicken is accompanied by a carrot and avocado salad, doused in orange and lemon juice, along with spices, herbs, seeds, and a little crème fraiche to cool things down.
The original recipe for this chicken comes with an aioli; for this dinner plan, though, we’ve left it out. Of course, feel free to make it if you want -- but the Carrot Avocado Salad gives plenty of creamy balance to the chicken on its own.
The Grocery List
2 whole organic chicken breasts
2 pounds small carrots
1 cup grapeseed oil
1 cup champagne vinegar
1 tablespoon sage
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary sprigs
1 tablespoon thyme leaves
1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
2 cups mixed baby sprouts, herbs and microgreens
4 tablespoons crème fraiche
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
We know you've got a well-stocked pantry and refrigerator so you'll have eggs, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, olive oil, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, and sugar.
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Simmer the carrots.
2. While the carrots are simmering, make the marinade and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Take the carrots off of the stove, drain them, and transfer them to a medium bowl. Add the marinade and the unjuiced citrus halves to the carrots. Then place them on a baking sheet and send them into the oven. When you pull them out, allow the carrots to cool to room temperature.
4. While the carrots are in the oven, make the dressing.
5. Prep your chicken and grill it, finishing with a nice and crispy skin.
6. Let the chicken sit for a few minutes while you finish up the salad.
7. Divide all of the salad compontents onto four plates, sprinkle with dressing, and serve with the chicken.
Photos by Joseph De Leo and James Ransom
Get $10 off your first purchase of $50 or more.