Jenny is in perpetual search for easy, weeknight recipes to attempt to feed her family. When they balk, she just eats more.
Today: The five reasons you should make this dish, tonight.
I feel a twinge of guilt reporting to all of you about the exciting yumminess of Burger with Gingery Mangoes on Meatless Monday, but I hope you will indulge me as I lay out a Jenny list explaining the virtues of this weeknight meal:
1. Mangos, a divine fruit that no one has to feel too badly about eating, food-miles-wise -- because are mangos ever really in season where many of us live?
2. Five spice powder: we just don’t use it enough.
3. Grilling gives you the last bits of summer.
4. This will be the first time you involve limes with burgers.
5. You thought there was no new way to make a burger. You feel good to be wrong.
I only had regular mayonnaise, so that’s what went on my burgers. I dislike scallions so I skipped them. Yes, I ate my kid’s leftovers. Sue me.
2 ripe mangos, peeled, seeded, and diced
2 finely chopped scallions, white and light green parts only
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Juice of 1 lime
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Glazed Five Spice Burger
1/3 cup canola mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 pound ground beef
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
6 hamburger buns or Kaiser rolls, split
Photos by James Ransom
Get $10 off your first purchase of $50 or more.