There are so many great conversations on the Hotline -- it's hard to choose a favorite. But we'll be doing it, once a week, to spread the wealth of our community's knowledge -- and to keep the conversation going.
Today: Don’t ditch those leftover egg whites.
We’re a little obsessed with eggs around here. Okay, a lot. We like eggs for breakfast and dinner. (Honestly, we'll put an egg on almost any meal.) We’ve talked about how to fry, bake, boil, and poach them. We've covered how to separate eggs and how to temper them. Together we’ve learned about the best way to crack an egg, and picked up tips for baking with smaller (or larger) eggs. Now we need to talk about egg whites.
This week Undeniably Rachael made a recipe calling for nine egg yolks, and she’s wondering what to do with all of those extra egg whites. Straight from the Hotline, she’s already gotten some egg-cellent ideas:
- HalfPint came through with multiple suggestions: pavlova, meringue cookies, marshmallows, French nougat, egg white quiche, egg white omelet, angel food cake, or freezing them for later use.
- Cristinasciarra seconds the suggestion of meringues, especially Basil Lemon Meringues.
- Chocolate mousse, from David.
- Magpiebaker and boulangere are fans of using leftover egg whites in David Lebovitz’s Chocolate Coconut Macaroons.
- Using an egg white or two to create clusters when baking up granola, from magpiebaker.
What are your favorite ways to use leftover egg whites? Add your two cents to the question on the Hotline here or continue the conversation in the comments below!
Get $10 off your first purchase of $50 or more.