We received over 1,600 submissions in our travel food photo contest with Tablet Hotels and, although the photos below didn't make it to the finals, they made us laugh and we thought that ought to be rewarded.
Tell us your favorite in the comments section below and we'll award the winner with a special prize for going off the beaten path.
- Angelika Schubert, Los Angeles
- Ann Kramer, Cusco, Peru (to preemptively answer your question: it's a guinea pig. Kramer says, "I hope you enjoy the photo more than I enjoyed the meal.")
- Lilia DeGregory, Florianopolis, Brazil
- Emily Larkin and Nice Horsey by Liz Larkin
- The house dog at Casa de Mita wanting some bacon by Tom Keener