If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
When she has the kitchen all to herself, Phyllis Grant of Dash and Bella cooks beautiful iterations of what solo meals were always meant to be: exactly what you want, when and where you want them.
Today: Your new 5-ingredient condiment, and how to put it almost everywhere.
It’s true. I don’t always make sense.
Like last night when I yelled at you to stop yelling.
Then I ate wine for dinner, standing up, all the while telling you to sit down and eat your vegetables.
Remember when you refused to eat a jalapeño pickle so I gave you cash to slurp one down? I know. Cash!
Dude. Don’t get used to it.
And this morning, I didn’t compost that nasty moldy cucumber because I was in such a hurry to get you to school. So I just shoved it in the garbage underneath the Ziploc bag that I should have re-used.
I’m trying to set a good example. But for the moment, please just do as I say not as I do.
A few guidelines, my love:
Take a bath every day.
Squeeze the toothpaste tube from the bottom.
Don’t eat dinner after 10PM.
Don’t throw the finger and f-bombs at texting mamas who cut you off in their enormous gas-guzzling SUVs.
Don’t be too critical of yourself.
Lengthen your exhalation if your heart starts to race.
Don’t eat chocolate at midnight.
Don’t let anyone bribe you with money.
And please, never ever rub your eyes after slicing jalapeños.
A few tips for quick pickling:
- Use a good quality vinegar. Don’t use the bulk white kind that kills your bathroom mold.
- I’ve heard that it’s smart to wear gloves or use a kitchen towel while handling jalapeños. Let me know.
- You can liven up the vinegar with anything you like. Here is lots of inspiration.
- Once the vinegar hits the jalapeños, their color will shift from a beautiful vibrant green to a dulled brownish green. Don’t panic.
- Like many things in the kitchen, jalapeño pickles are always better the next day.
Top 5 places to put jalapeño pickles:
- On, in, under, or next to any kind of taco or quesadilla.
- In a grilled cheese sandwich.
- With pâté (instead of cornichons). Bonus points if you then feed it to your kids.
- Scattered on my dream pizza of potato, cilantro pesto, egg, and crème fraîche.
- Directly into your mouth.
Makes 1 batch
4 to 6 jalapeños
1 cup Champagne or white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons white sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
Photos by Phyllis Grant
Quick! Make these summery recipes while there's still time
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
This week's #happylist.
Storage made crystal clear.