Each week, we’ll be sharing a comprehensive list of links to help you master something new in the kitchen. Culinary greatness, here you come.
Today: Perfect your corned beef and cabbage -- just in time for St. Patrick's Day.
While novelty items like Shamrock Shakes, Baileys-infused desserts, and green bagels start showing up this time of year, we can't help but yearn for something a little simpler this St. Patrick's Day. Something sturdy, satisfying, and steeped in history. Something you can always depend on -- like corned beef and cabbage. Fill up on this hearty Irish-American classic on Monday before heading to the pub. These links will help.
- A history of corned beef and cabbage -- is it really Irish? (Smithsonian.)
- Learn how to cure your own corned beef. (Ruhlman.)
- The ultimate guide to corned beef, complete with the science of simmering. (Serious Eats.)
- A genius take on the traditional dish, with a zesty parsley-mustard sauce to brighten things up. (Food52.)
- Arguably the best part of corned beef: making hash with leftovers. (Bon Appétit.)
Corned beef fans -- tell us your secrets in the comments!