🔔
🔎

Looking for a great recipe for duck breasts.

I've never made duck breasts before but ordered some a few months ago and I am going to take out to defrost. I was hoping some of you would share your favorite recipes or techniques.

asked by melissav over 3 years ago
84baef1b-1614-4c3d-a895-e859c9d40bd1.chris_in_oslo

I think that the best way to handle duck breasts is to treat them a little like they're steaks. Your exact timing will depend a lot on size and the quality of your breasts. Use a griddle, a grill,or a saute pan, and sear them on the fat side for about 5 minutes, turn them over and cook them another 5. Maybe turn them back over to sear the fat some more, or cover to cook through. A really nice fresh duck breast can be a little bloody rather than overly cooked. Slice thin, and serve with a sauce (fruit sauces are good) or just with salt and pepper.

0f493ab9-068f-4498-ba2c-95c992214d52.sit2

Cut the skin in little 'diamond' patterns, season with salt pepper,.start in a cold pan and slowly heat skin side down to render some fat..then turn up the heat and crisp up the skin..flip and cook just a bit more, then to a 325 oven for a bit until about 140 with a probe for med-rare. (it can be done entirely in the pan, but the pan/oven method is less guess work)

It's important to sear the skin in the pan first to get the "Mallard" reaction.

( you don't know how long I've been waiting to use that pun).

Eb515e78-7387-4e72-b91d-acfa26b55b99.default-full

You can saute as noted by Sam, or broil as in this recipe. The sauce is easy and delicious:

http://www.epicurious.com...

Score the skin and salt and pepper it, as recommended above. I just do medium heat the whole way in the pan (not nonstick) - resist the urge to flip them over until the skin is really crisp and most of the fat has rendered. Then finish on the meat side for a couple of minutes. Finally, it should rest skin side up on an overturned plate on top of a cutting board, so that the juices don't pool and steam the meat or skin (a good trick for resting steaks as well).

E7b6597b-db6e-4cae-b9f3-699b508f4ed3.036

YES to the massive importance of a deep brown crisp skin and all of that delicious fat. Mr L also achieved that on a medium grill and close attention to the flame. He then made this sauce and we about fell out of our seats at the deliciousness ....

http://www.epicurious.com...

D22e715c-166f-4578-8ad4-1e169fc809ba.ry_400

Thanks everyone! I'll report back.

516f887e-3787-460a-bf21-d20ef4195109.bigpan

Score the skin, I don't s&p, sear skin side down in a very hot pan (canola, not olive oil), the duck will release when done - do not worry... The put into a 325F oven until med rare (use a thermometer if you can't tell by touch. Let sit covered for the juices to soak in. Slice a biase and serve over sauce of your voice. Save the duck fat to use for future mashed potato.