🔎

Looking for good braised short rib recipes that don't use any alcohol

Hi -- My go-to short rib recipes (and most of my braising recipes in general) all call for alcohol -- either beer or wine. For a dinner party this weekend, I'm looking for a good recipe that doesn't call for any alcohol -- not even a small amount! Any recommendations? I'm wondering if I could take some of the recipes from the site and adapt them to omit the alcohol? What's the best substitute for beer or red wine to still achieve depth of flavor? Thanks for your help!

Summer_2010_1048
Midge added over 2 years ago

I've never used it to braise, but how about vinegar?

Wholefoods_user_icon
a Whole Foods Market Customer added over 2 years ago

I make a great short rib recipe that is from "Canadian Living " magazine site. If you google Canadian Living recipes.. and put in Short ribs it is Lee Leuschners( SP) recipe..People always ask for the recipe. If you cannot find it let me know. Barb. I think it is the 3rd entry under short ribs.

Cimg0737
cookinginvictoria added over 2 years ago

Emily, Rick Bayless has a delicious short rib recipe that contains no alcohol -- the ingredients are poblano chiles, onion, garlic, tomatoes, herbs, and short ribs, of course. It is in his cookbook Mexico: One Plate at a Time. I'm not seeing the reicpe online, but if you are interested in seeing this recipe, feel free to DM me and I will paraphrase the recipe for you.

inpatskitchen added over 2 years ago

I've seen many recipes for coffee braised short ribs on the internet...haven't tried any yet but many sound very good!

Pinch_dash_smidgon
soupcon added over 1 year ago

Any short rib recipe you like is good. Just substitute another liquid of your choice for the alcohol in the recipe and drive on. The list of possibilities is varied as your imagination.

Dsc_0048b
healthierkitchen added over 1 year ago

this is going to sound kind of crazy, and I've never cooked with it myself, but I have seen many brisket recipes with Coke or Dr. Pepper...