Brown sugar...I live in Italy and can find only granulated brown sugar. Do I simply add molasses? Please help..CHristmas cookies!|

asked by McTurandot over 2 years ago

I live in Germany and have the same issue. I use the most aromatic light brown granulated sugar that I can find - not ideal but i do not find moasses here either.....

Jc_profilepic

I have done that in the past, I used 1-1/2 tablespoons molasses plus 1 cup granulated sugar to make 1 cup packed brown sugar. I did so with a 'tried and true' recipe and it did affect the consistency somewhat; I had a wetter batter and the cookies spread more than usual, but still tasty. Do you have time to try test batches?

When brown sugar is called for, granulated brown sugar is what is meant. I don't understand the question

Chris_in_oslo

Brown sugar in the States is moist and packable. The granulated sugar they're talking about is dry and free-flowing.

Lorigoldsby

greenstuff is right--what they have is closer to our demara "Sugar in the Raw"...

Gator_cake

If the recipe calls for light brown sugar, substitute demerara at 220 grams per cup. If the recipe calls for dark brown sugar, substitute muscavado at 240 grams per cup. US brown sugar is granulated sugar with molasses added back. The muscavado and demerara sugars are less refined so naturally have molasses in them.

Try: myamericanmarket.com

Try: myamericanmarket.com

Try: myamericanmarket.com for brown sugar, mollases and much more.

RCL

RCL

RCL