cake and glaze

I want to make a bundt cake (homey and dense), which calls for pouring over a hot glaze, made of water, sugar, and butter, boiled and then reduced some. My question is, if I don't expect this to be eaten at one time, would it be a mistake to glaze the whole cake at once i.e. how long would it last once glazed and would it become terrible soggy? I'm thinking of leaving glaze on the side, the down side being, it won't seep into the cake, as I assume it's meant to.

asked by ATG117 over 2 years ago

it shouldn't become soggy. i'm sure it's meant to seep into the cake and add flavor. usually with these types of cakes, they are better the next day so that the yummy glaze does actually meld with the cake. i would love your quantities on this glaze. it sounds delicious!

Thanks! It's a recipe for a Coconut Pound Cake, made by Daphne Oz on The Chew. It looked fantastic, so much so that I scrapped the cake I had wanted to make for this one. Here are the ingredients:

FOR THE CAKE:4 Eggs, 2 cups Sugar, 1 cup Unsalted Butter, 3 cups Flour, 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder, 1/2 teaspoon Salt, 1 cup Buttermilk, 1 cup Flaked Coconut (unsweetened),1 cup Chopped Pecans.

FOR THE GLAZE:1/2 cup Water, 2 tablespoon Salted Butter, 1 cup Sugar, powdered sugar for dusting

3-bizcard

That sounds delicious, my Mother used to make a lemon tube cake with the same glaze except she used lemon juice instead of water. The cake was even better the next day as the glaze saturated the cake. YUM!