What is the best brand of serrated fruit/vegetable peeler, and why? Thanks so much. ;o)

Dsc_0122.nef-1

The oxo serrated peeler any day, works great, its so smooth!

Dsc_0122.nef-1

PS: i replied via twitter to this qn, but it does not seem to register on this hotline page..(the second time I'm noticing this)

3-bizcard

I agree with panfusine, I have the oxo serrated and have had it for years. Its very good!

I like the ceramic peelers they made nowadays!

2010-09-15_14.22.07

I agree with panfusine and sdebrango about the Oxo peeler. However, last time I was in San Francisco, my sister took me to an Asian kitchen supply store in Japantown. I don't remember the name or just where it was, but there was a downstairs which had hardware as well as kitchen tools. I found a little peeler there which is superb. It has a red plastic handle and has stayed sharper than any other peeler I have ever owned. Perhaps some of you Bay Area Food52-ers can help?

Chris_in_oslo

I have several for different uses. An Asian one for green papaya salad. A stainless steel julienne that's finer than the Asian one. And a Kuhn Rikon that's just lightly serrated so that you couldn't used it for the strips themselves but that is so good at peeling squashes that I may love it most of all.

Image

I love love love my Kuhn Rikon. I t has changed my peeling life.

Buddhacat

I am with you, drbabs. Kuhn Rikon is the best peeler ever. Mine has a serrated edge as well as straight edge. Everyone should have one!

Sometimes the problem is that your peeler is just old and dull. I've been married 42 years and still have some original knives, peelers etc. It is amazing how replacing those with a new one (any brand) improves things. We forget that equipment wears out just like people.