🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Sweet Potato Rolls

37_thumb

I haven't any oat flour. Will barley or whole wheat pasty flour work instead? I do have quick oats and regular rolled oats on hand. Thanks so much, everyone. ;o)

asked almost 3 years ago

Why not just blitz the quick oats in the food processor until finely ground? You can sieve out the larger bits. That's all oat flour is anyway! I need to make those rolls too. :)

Cathybarrow_allrecipes_%c2%a9_2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a trusted source on Pickling/Preserving.

You could probably pulverize some rolled oats, or sub whole wheat flour. I wouldn't use pastry flour. I haven't worked with barley flour, so can't weigh in. Cheers! Cathy

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Thanks so much. I was curious about the weight/volume of oat flour, so I did a quick Google search, and found an interesting and helpful resource: a master weight chart on the KAF site. http://www.kingarthurflour...

Interestingly, barley is closest in terms of weight/volume, at exactly 3 ¼ ounces. Whole wheat pastry is a close second, at 3 3/8 ounces, with (and I find this extremely interesting), quick oats being just 1/8 ounce less. I use both barley and whole wheat pastry flours all the time in my breads, using small amounts of the latter for flavor, so I’ll probably just do roughly equal amount of barley, WWP and quick oats, by weight. There’s no appreciable quantity of gluten in the oat flour, so I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t work. Stay tuned! ;o)

Imag0055

Here is an indirect answer. Kim Boyce's "Good to the Grain" has a great formula for a whole grain mix that I use all of the time, either to cover the need for a small amount of an unusual flour (as in your situation) or to sneak whole grains past certain people (i.e. living in my household) who dislike them in quantity. I mix up a batch and keep it handy. The "certain people" have yet to catch on.
1 cup whole what flour
I cup oat flour
1 cup barley flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 cup rye flour
Boyce also has recipes for this mix, but I use it in small amounts in lots of places, like substituting for a portion of white flour in cookies, pie dough, muffins, etc.

Junechamp

I would also buzz up some rolled oats in the food processor and measure them out for flour. I've had good success with that in the past. Have never even seen oat flour in the store (but I wasn't looking, since I always have oats in the house).