A question about a recipe: Brooke's Homemade Cheddar Crackers

Cheese-crackers3

I have a question about the recipe "Brooke's Homemade Cheddar Crackers" from One Hungry Mama. Make this all the time and we love it. Anyone tried other cheeses? For example, would parmesan work? Manchego?

asked by SKK almost 3 years ago
Gator_cake

I haven't made these crackers, but have used manchego in a relatively similar cracker. I bet gruyere would be good, too. I probably wouldn't use parmesan as a sole cheese, due to the texture & non-meltyness, but could see using it in combo with another cheese.

Buddhacat

Thanks HLA! Been looking for a good cracker recipe to serve with dymnyno's Onion Bacon Jam and thought this might be good. Thanks for your advice!

Farmer's_market

I also do not this, but a very similar recipe - and have used gruyere w/fresh thyme. I agree about only using part parm - but in combo with a meltier, milder cheese it would be good.

For T-giving I did some crackers with cornmeal and flour, cheddar and a pinch of cayenne (that time also threw in a little chopped jalapeno, simply because my summer plant refused to cease and desist production.)

Buddhacat

Amysarah - your idea sounds great. Did you do 50/50 cornmel and flour? Thanks in advance.

Farmer's_market

It's actually based on a recipe for 'cornmeal cheddar icebox crackers' in Martha Stewart's hors d'oeuvres book (don't judge ;-) - that I've hot-rodded, depending on what I have around. It calls for 1 cup flour and 2 T cornmeal, but I usually do more like 2-4T cornmeal, and proportionately less flour. (Gruyere/thyme ones based on same book.)

Buddhacat

Hey, I have Martha's book also and love it. No problems here.

I tried the recipe your mention but had trouble rolling them out to be thin enough. Great minds - I used some spicy peppers I bought at the Farmer's Market and dehydrated and ground them up so they are ready to go.

Question I don't want to ask publicly because I should know. Do you MS recipe could be made into balls and pressed?

Farmer's_market

Hmm. Never done it with the ball/press method, but I can't see why not. I usually chill the dough in a log, then slice very thin - if they look too thick I just roll over the slices or smoosh them with the bottom of a glass (very hi-tech here!) I use more butter than the recipe calls for, so maybe that makes the dough more pliable/rollable.