I'm trying to cook artichokes, but they keep coming up tough and chewy. What's up?

asked by VeggieMan over 2 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Tell us how you trim and cook them -- that might offer some clues.

I was using them in a skillet recipe where the outer leaves are removed, the artichoke cut lengthwise, and simmered for 20 min in a lemon and chicken broth liquid.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

After simmering them, did you cut off a piece and taste it for tenderness? I'm wondering if they needed a little more simmering? Also, if you were using large artichokes, they sometimes need aggressive trimming. But I've never really found large artichokes to be tough -- usually it's the small ones.

313209_2493694741674_1231978067_33008415_1220700979_n

It sounds like you're not simmering long enough. I usually steam artichokes for about 30-40 minutes. They are done when the outer leaves are easily pulled off.

Lorigoldsby

I agree with Amanda and Angie...until you can easily pull off one of the large outer leaves, keep steaming!