🔎

Okay I am definitely going to make Caramelized Butternut Squash Wedges with a Sage Hazelnut Pesto for Thanksgiving at my In-laws. Here is the question: what part(s) can I make ahead of time? I assume the pesto is easy enough to bring already made. Do you think I can peel and slice the squash at home also--just leaving the roasting for later?

Ozoz_profile
Kitchen Butterfly added over 3 years ago

I would say yes, you can prep the squash ahead of time. I would keep it covered in a bowl, and clingfilm wrapped

allie added over 3 years ago

Yes, I often prep squash ahead of time (put in a ziploc). Truth be told, I think you could even roast the squash ahead of time, but better fresh, no doubt.

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_
Mr_Vittles added over 3 years ago

I think you have the right idea. The squash can be prepped and if you choose to roast it, it will freeze well in a ziploc bag with the air removed. The pesto can also be made ahead and stored in a plastic container with a tight fitting lid. Also add a little oil to the top of the pesto to keep air from touching the pesto, which would turn it faster.

Ry_400
melissav added over 3 years ago

You can definitely make the pesto ahead of time. I've used it up to a few days after making it. I've also prepped the squash a few hours ahead of time (cut it, seasoned it, and laid it on the baking sheet) so all I had to do was pop it in the oven when I was ready. PS - So happy to hear you are making this for Thanksgiving. I hope you enjoy it.