A question about a recipe: White Chocolate Snowflakes

4204543665_7f2b7aebb6_o

I have a question about the recipe "White Chocolate Snowflakes" from merrill. Does the white chocolate bloom? Do you not bother tempting the chocolate in this recipe? Milk chocolate sounds even better-if less pretty-but I feel like lack of tempting could be an even bigger problem there .

asked by The Spiced Life over 2 years ago
Lorigoldsby

Merrill is having you temper the chocolate when you melt it over the double boiler.

You could always make "dirty snowflakes" by drizzling dark chocolate over the white. Either way, use a chocolate designed for candy making (vs baking chips which are designed to retain their shape) for the best results.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Ours usually don't last long enough to bloom! But I have forgotten a few at the back of the fridge and they didn't bloom even after 2 weeks. And we didn't temper the chocolate. Not sure if white chocolate behaves differently. The reading I've done on blooming doesn't distinguish white from milk and dark chocolates.

I just feel like the blooming shows more on milk, not that is necessarily behaves differently.

Interestingly different answers. :) I would not have said melting in a double boiler tempered chocolate BUT I also am surprised they did not bloom so I guess I'll just have to give it a try and report back.

Lorigoldsby

This is why I considered it tempering chocolate...it may be simplistic of me to assume that melting over a double boiler is tempering, but I guess I do! This is one of the great things about the hotline...you get different points of view!

http://candy.about.com...

Let's just say I've had enough tempering quotes to leave me permanently wary lol. :D But I will try. I've finished first round of baking, but with in laws coming for the week after xmas I'l need more stuff. Any excuse!

Hmmm.. Auto correct got "quotes" out of disasters. Weird. Can you edit answers on here?

Lorigoldsby

When melting over a double boiler, make sure the simmering water is not touching the bottom of your melting pan (I actually use an 8 cup Pyrex handled cup) . To test put your top pan on, then lift up and make sure no water is on the bottom! It's a handy trick that makes melting the chocolate easier!

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet