🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Ann Seranne's Rib Roast of Beef

Food52_12-13-11-2956

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Ann Seranne's Rib Roast of Beef" from Genius Recipes. It says:

"Preheat the oven to 500 degrees." I have just purchased a Breville countertop convection oven, the newest/best model. Do you think it will work for this recipe? I don't have a regular oven right now

asked by bmallorca almost 3 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

Maybe, but I'd be concerned about a few things: 1) That the heating element would be too close to the surface of the roast (even for a small roast) and would cook it unevenly 2) That the countertop oven might not be well-insulated and hold onto its heat well -- which is a requirement of this cooking method. It's an expensive cut of meat, so I'd only try it if you're confident in how insulated and evenly heated your oven is -- sorry!

2014-07-19_10.14.05

Thanks Kristen, those are the issues I am wondering about too. I have only used the oven twice, and don't have the feel for how it operates at all. Maybe I'll try it for just two of us and see how it goes. Or go cook it at someone else's kitchen! I LOVE the Genius Recipes column. Thanks!

Miglore

What a perfect excuse to use someone else's kitchen (who's going to say no to prime rib showing up at their house?). And thanks -- so glad you're enjoying the column!