🔎

• 3

• 888

• See other questions tagged:
    • sugar

A question about a recipe: Celli Ripieni (Grape jam dumplings)

I have a question about the ingredient "caster sugar" on the recipe "Celli Ripieni (Grape jam dumplings)" from Emiko. What is it?

Celli_ripieni_half_open
Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

I don't purchase superfine sugar or castor sugar. I take regular sugar and put it in my food processor. My daughter who bakes a lot swears by Baker's Sugar. I still take the food processor method. Below is the definition of castor sugar.
From Ochef.com:

"Castor or caster sugar is the name of a very fine sugar in Britain, so named because the grains are small enough to fit though a sugar "caster" or sprinkler. It is sold as "superfine" sugar in the United States.

Because of its fineness, it dissolves more quickly than regular white sugar, and so is especially useful in meringues and cold liquids. It is not as fine as confectioner’s sugar, which has been crushed mechanically (and generally mixed with a little starch to keep it from clumping)."

AnnieHynes added over 2 years ago

Thank you, thank you! I learn soooooo much on this site

Emiko_davies_new_portrait
Emiko added over 2 years ago

The name caster or castor sugar is used in the UK and Australia - it's simply a fine, white sugar (but not as fine as confectioners or icing sugar), most often called for in baking and desserts like meringues. I believe in the US it's called "superfine" sugar.