🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Nina's Amazing Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

Nina_sgfcookies

I have a question about the recipe "Nina's Amazing Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies" from La Niña.
What alternate flour can you use whena recipe calls for Teff flour since I have found that I am allergic severly to it?

asked by pasoloco almost 3 years ago

Hi pasoloco: You can substitute a different gluten free flour like amaranth, millet, and others- but all will alter the taste slightly. The other thing you can do is use the sweet sorghum flour for the amount of teff- so you'll have just three grains: sweet sorghum, sweet rice and flax seed meal. That should work fine. -Nina

Buddhacat

I recommend you go to Syronai's page and send her this question. http://www.food52.com/cooks... is an expert on all gluten free glours. I think if you are allergic to teff, it also means there are other flours that you will have a problem with that are in the same family.

She also has a blog beyondcelery.com

Good luck!

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

Aw, thanks, SKK! Nina's answer is actually pretty much what I'd recommend--and it's her recipe, so she's probably tried different flour options. If you're looking to stay as close as possible to the flavor and texture the teff will lend, I'd probably go with a combination of buckwheat and brown rice flours. Buckwheat has some of a similar nuttiness to teff, though it's stronger in flavor. Brown rice will help balance out the flavor and keep it from becoming too strong. Try to get the finest ground of these flours you can. The cool thing about teff flour is how fine it is; this actually gives baked goods a softer texture and an almost melt-in-your-mouth quality. You can also add up to 1/4 cup potato flour to your 1 cup of substitution flours. This will help with maintaining a soft (not gritty) texture.