🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

What's the best way to store super-firm tofu? Does it need to be in water? How long will it last? How do I know if it goes bad?

asked by @FoodDocent almost 4 years ago
Image

It will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator if you cover it with water and change the water every day. You can freeze it for about 3 months. If you drain it before freezing, it will have a meatier texture.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

You'll know it's not good by how it smells. It will smell rather sour and unappealing. It probably won't hurt you to eat it if it smells a bit off, but it won't taste very good.

Scan0004

How do you know it it goes bad? The water will be syrupy, it will smell foul, there may be pink mold on it... you will know! Follow drbabs advice. Another approach is to take what's left of the block, cut it cubes and marinate it in a vinaigrette or teriyaki sauce -- then use it!

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

Stored in water and changed once a day super firm tofu can last a few weeks. If you add salt it will extend its life, but will also impart a salty flavor. The nose is the best judge of whether or not the tofu is bad. When it smells bad it will most likely taste bad, and that is a good time to toss it.

When I asked my Japanese friend years ago how I would know if tofu was going bad, she said, "Do you know that very bad smell?" You'll know. Go with submerging in water and changing the water every day if possible and use it as soon as you can. My problem is always forgetting to change the water if I try to keep it too long.