Do half-sheet pans work for baking cookies, or should I use baking sheets without sides?

For best results in baking cookies, can I get away with using my regular old half-sheet pans (lined with parchment), or should I just get some of the cookie baking sheets without sides? I'm assuming the heat moves differently over the dough when there are/are not sides -- or am I overthinking it?

asked by bprinz over 2 years ago
3-bizcard

I use regular sheet pans lined with either parchment or silpat and have done so for many years, my pans tell the story. If the pan or pans that you are currently using work well and are still functional keep using them. I don't know the science of heat moving better or more efficiently if there are no sides but I have both and have not noticed any difference at all in the outcome using sideless pans, Maybe one of our resident experts can weigh in on that.

Gator_cake

I use the half-sheet pans all the time, and don't notice a difference between cookies baked near the edges and cookies baked near the center. My sister loves the airbake pans, but I don't see a real need for them, and find the rimmed sheets more multipurpose.

I have both kinds of pans, and while I do reach first for the airbake pan, that is just habit. I've never noticed a difference in the results, and when I buy pans I buy the heavy duty half sheets.

Dsc00426

if you already have rimmed sheet pans, there's really no need to get rimless ones. your cookies will bake fine, and as harlikearmour says, the rimmed sheets are more versatile. maybe consider silicone mats like silpats which help a lot with even cooking and keeping cookies (or anything else) from sticking.

Thank you fellow Food52ers!!