Re: "Boston cream pie with kahlua ganache" by sdebrando: does ganache require heavy cream?

Or would light cream or half and half work?

asked by creamtea over 2 years ago
3-bizcard

I always make the ganache with heavy cream but I think light cream or even half and half would work fine. I would go for the light cream if you can. Please let me know how you like it! Happy Holidays!

Dsc00859_2

Thanks sdb, I made a virgin version last month for daughter's b-day, if I have time will try to make a larger size cake for a friend's Hanukkah party.If so, I'll let you know how the "low-fat" :) version works out.

3-bizcard

Thank you, after the holidays I'll be looking for a low fat version myself. Please let me know how it works out!

You can even make ganache with coconut milk if you so desire (I've used the high fat version rather than the "lite" stuff), or soy milk or regular whole milk. I make ganache with half and half most of the time (because it's more likely to be in my fridge). It's maybe a little more solid than if there was more fat, but it works just fine (you could add a little butter or coconut oil to soften it up a little if needed, just reheat a little and whip in a tablespoon or so).

Dsc00859_2

Thank you, Ophelia. I just bought half and half tonight. If I end up not having time to make sdb's (super-yummy) recipe, I'll still have cream for my coffee.