🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Ann Seranne's Rib Roast of Beef

Food52_12-13-11-2956

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Ann Seranne's Rib Roast of Beef" from Genius Recipes. It says:

"Allow the roast to remain in the oven until oven is lukewarm, or about two hours."
I only have one oven and need to use the oven to cook sides. How long can the roast rest outside the oven after the initial 2 hours resting in the oven and still be warm enough to serve

asked by LAB almost 3 years ago
3-bizcard

What are the sides? I wonder if you couldn't bake the sides first, then do the roast and after the prescribed resting time is up just quickly heat the side dishes. While the roast is cooking you can keep them covered with foil and place them at the warmest place on top of the stove. For me its the back where the vents are. Or if you have a toaster oven you could warm them in there. I sympathize I have a juggling act to do every holiday. I think that making sure the roast is the star of the show and you will have to maneuver your way around that. Maybe someone here has a brilliant idea.

3-bizcard

What I meant to say is that the roast is the star of the show and making sure its served at proper temp is very important. Wish we could edit our answers.

LAB

Nope, that won't work. One of the sides is a bacon onion tart which is really more like a yorkshire pudding so it needs to be served immediately after it comes out of the oven

3-bizcard

Sounds delish, I once had to borrow my neighbors oven running back and forth. What is the baking time on the tart, sounds like it would be 30-45 minutes in that time your roast would probably get cold, I doubt even tenting with foil would keep it warm, still thinking. Counter top oven would come in handy for this.

LAB

yep, 30 min. you really think it would get cold in that time? I can't impose on the neighbors on xmas eve. and yes, need to get myself a countertop oven. If only I could stand going to a shopping center this time of year....

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I have the same situation -- one oven. I've planned my menu with that in mind, selecting sides that can be mostly made in advance. I plan to allow the roast to "rest" for 30 minutes, after it's removed from the oven, and then carve it. During that time, I'll cook the Yorkshire pudding and roast some Brussels sprouts; for the last ten minutes of that (in a hot oven) I'll heat up my roasted potatoes and spinach gratin. Both of those will have been mostly cooked earlier in the day, and will be at room temperature when they go into the oven. It will require some juggling, but I'm sure it can be done. The roast will "rest" well tented on a well warmed platter, covered with aluminum foil, in the warmest corner of my kitchen. Good luck!! ;o)