Sugar keeps seizing up - never had this happen before. Ruined 6 cups! Tried without & with water methods. Help!

Brittle_1

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Pine Nut Brittle with Rosemary" from Ms. T. It says:

"Place the sugar in a large, heavy saucepan over high heat and stir with a wooden spoon until sugar begins to melt. Lower the heat to medium-high and keep stirring just until the sugar is melted. Stop stirring and watch for it to turn a medium caramel color. About 10 minutes total."

asked by cookbookchick over 2 years ago
Merrill

Hmm.This is a pretty standard method for making caramel -- not sure what's going on! Maybe try it with no stirring at all -- just swirl the pot from time to time.

Dsc_0028

Me neither-- I have never had any trouble doing this many times before. i am giving up for now and moving on to another recipe rather than risk more sugar!

Merrill

What a bummer! Hope you'll try it some other time -- it really is delicious.

Dsc_0028

I will, when I am back home with my gas stove. I think part of the problem might be that I am using electric burners. Meantime, I'll use the ingredients to make Martha Stewart's Pine-Nut Cookies with Rosemary, a stellar recipe if you haven't tried it. Thanks, Merrill! Here's wishing you all the best for the holidays and the New Year with your new family!

Merrill

Thank you, and same to you!