🔎

Can you freeze ginger so it will keep better? A friend told me this recently -- but I am curious as to whether anyone has had success with this. Thanks in advance for your responses!

mrathmel added over 3 years ago

I actually do this all the time. I put my unused ginger (unpeeled) in a zip lock bag and put it in the freezer. I pull it out and gate/slice/dice as needed. I've never had a problem doing this...

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_
Mr_Vittles added over 3 years ago

Yeah, just peel it and wrap in a layer of cling film. It makes it last forever, do not even wait to defreeze it, just grate it on a Microplane and its ready to use.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Wow, the useful things we learn here! Thanks, everyone! ;o)

nutcakes added over 3 years ago

There was a big thread on this very topic recently. I also keep some in the freezer, I don't thaw it, just use the microplane on it. Thawed it turns squishy.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I'm with everyone, freeze your unpeeled ginger! I wrap my tubers in plastic film, then store in freezer baggie. Grate frozen w microplane. Peeling optional. Also helpful to cut some disks up and freeze for when you need those larger chunks.