🔎

• 13

• 2597

• See other questions tagged:
    • burgers

Turkey burgers r healthy but dry. I tried mixing in a egg white for moisture. Any other suggestions?

Anonymous chef added over 2 years ago

try a panada,

A paste or gruel of bread crumbs, toast, combined with milk, stock, or water and used for making soups, binding forcemeats, or thickening sauces.

it's pretty simple, just soak the bread in the wet ingredient, then add to your ground turkey. form your patty season and you are ready to go.

PFP added over 2 years ago

Anonymous chef gives good advice. I also add an egg -- 1 egg per lb. of ground turkey -- along with the bread crumbs and water mix. It gives a turkey burger that is not grainy, is light in texture and unless it is wildly overcooked, is not dry.

Sam1148 added over 2 years ago

Yes! when you add binder like bread crumbs. Moisten it with stock...but add 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin to each 1/2 cup of liquid. (the egg is also an optional addition to liquid/gelatin mix).

The gelatin replaces the moisture of the fat you'd get with a beef burger.

nutcakes added over 2 years ago

Oprah's favorite one contains grated apple (If you google the recipe will turn up.) It's served at Mar-a-Lago. Here:
http://www.oprah.com/food...

My mom makes hers with raw onions and peppers whirled in the FP and those contain a lot of moisture that goes in. She doesn't like to put egg or crumbs in.

Bigpan
bigpan added over 2 years ago

Call me crazy (NO, don't !) but I mix in cranberries with my turkey burgers. When heated they pop open and release juice and flavor.

Cannizzo added over 2 years ago

I agree with the bread crumbs egg and stock or milk the liquid is soaked buy the dry ingredient and it keeps the meat moist also you could try dry porcini soaked in water and you could add the porcini water and the porcini with some bread crumbs or oatmeal

Okay, I'll play the contrarian here. The biggest problem with turkey burgers is that they lack fat---some people consider that healthy. Fine, have it your way. Sure you can add texture with egg white and bread crumbs but you still end up with something that is unsatisfying and barely tastes like food. Same problem with "veggie" burgers.

Jc_profilepic
Sadassa_Ulna added over 2 years ago

I add the panade plus lots of ketchup, ground pepper, garlic powder and several dashes of Asian fish sauce (what I call nature's MSG). Please don't tell my children....

Marishka added over 2 years ago

If you like hummus, try adding 1/2 cup hummus. You can use spicy hummus if you like!

ATG117 added over 2 years ago

Finely minced and sauteed onions, carrots, and celery will help. You shouls also add some chicken stock. The Oprah recipe mentioned is a good one. Ann Burrell of Food Network has a good one as well.

Black_picture_small
loubaby added over 2 years ago

The best way I have found and easiest is to throw mushrooms in the food processor (onions, peppers, cranberries, celery, carrots all add moisture as well) and process finely; mix those into your ground turkey...they really do stay moist. I believe I got this recipe from Cooks Illustrated...here is the recipe that I have made and works good:

1 1/2 lb ground Turkey--breast only is fine
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup food processed mushrooms (they say chopped)
1/2 cup Low Fat Cheddar Cheese, optional
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
1 Tbl Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbl Dijon mustard
Just mix all together; flatten into 4-6 burgers and cook in skillet or grill to 160 degrees.

sugarandsalt added over 2 years ago

Grated carrots and diced onions are a good addition. Not only do they add moisture but also extra flavor and textures.

skittle added over 2 years ago

I actually add a drizzle of olive oil.