🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Corn Zeppole

081010f52_me_0130

I have a question about the ingredient "grams fresh yeast" on the recipe "Corn Zeppole" from Andrew Feinberg. I've never measured in grams. How does this equate to regular measurements?

asked by Gilda almost 3 years ago
Merrill

30 grams equals 1 ounce (in weight). You will need a kitchen scale for this recipe.

Thank you Merrill. Even though the recipe looks yummy, I think I'll substitute it for another. I don't want to go through the trouble of weighing everything and converting it to usuable measurements.

Gator_cake

I'll add my 2 cents. Weights are usable measurements. Once you start using a kitchen scale you will wonder "where has this tool been all my life?" It will improve your accuracy with measuring for baking, plus you won't have to dirty up as many utensils. It's a great investment!

Most of the world with the exception of the US and a few other hold outs is on the metric system which is based on "tens". It's far more accurate than say, a half cup of this or that. And yes indeed, having an accurate digital scale is an essential kitchen tool. A good one will allow you to switch back and forth from ounces to grams if necessary.

Scan0004

Most food packages are labeled with both ounce and gram measurements. Active dry yeast packets each say they contain 1/4 ounce = 7 grams. This recipe calls for 'fresh yeast' which can be hard to find, so dry can substitute. But there are other ingredients in grams -- there are tables online converting weight measures to volume (King Arthur site has one, I think). Still, if you can find another similar recipe and incorporate the chiles, etc, try it.

I regularly use both scales and cups measurements. Both are great ways of doing things, but for accuracy, scales win out. One person's cup of flour can vary wildly to someone else's, depending on how much they pack it down when they scoop it out... Which can produce different results to the same recipe! However, bar the odd variation in calibration, 8 ozs of flour in your house is the same as 8 ozs of flour in my house! Take care when converting recipes that have large quantities in them - 30 Grammes to an ounce is a great reckoner, but technically it's closer to 28 g to an oz, rounding it up to 30 gives over an extra oz of flour per pound, which could make a difference to some recipes...

Rachel_and_martha

I struggle with cups...I only use them when I have to...!