🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Dirty Chai Toddy

I have a question about the recipe "Dirty Chai Toddy" from gingerroot. I'm trying to make this for a large group, and as I was simmering the half & half and spices, the liquid separated. Help! What did I do wrong?

asked by JenLeePA almost 3 years ago

I'm using about 64 ounces of liquid in total, and scaled the spices upwards accordingly. It hadn't even reached a simmer yet when the liquid broke. It's now totally gross and I'm hoping I can figure out what went wrong before I make a second attempt. :(

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that happened. Were you whisking the mixture as it was heating up? For that amount of liquid, maybe the prolonged time on the stove would require more stirring to prevent separation before it reached a simmer. Since I've never experienced separation with this, that is my best guess. I'm hoping someone else will chime in!