🔎

What are fresno chilies? I never heard of them. Are also known by another name?

I have a question about the ingredient "red fresno chiles, coarsely chopped" on the recipe "Fresh Sriracha (aka, home made 'Rooster')" from edamame2003.

08310f52_me_0047
nutcakes added over 2 years ago

The Cook's Thesauras has a good guide to Chiles and substitutions. It says this chile is similar to jalapeno but hotter, and is out in summer and fall. Can you get red jalapenos?
http://www.foodsubs.com...

carolynborske added over 2 years ago

Thank you Nutcakes. Living in the chicagoland area you'd think there would be no problem finding what ever it is you need. Truth be told you still have to hunt for some items. Red jajapenos are scarce. Luckily Edamame2003 jogged my brain when she said they are also refered to as serrano...they are plentiful. Thank you both for your knowledgable and prompt response.

Eda_takoyaki_cooking
edamame2003 added over 2 years ago

Hi there--I've seen them labeled as serrano. My go-to substitution are red jalapeƱos. They're a tiny bit hotter but good.

Eda_takoyaki_cooking
edamame2003 added over 2 years ago

All hot peppers if left on the vine to ripen will turn red and sometimes they get a name change (for marketing reasons). Chipotle peppers for example are red jalapenos that have been smoked.