Substitute for caraway seeds?

asked by maggie37 over 2 years ago

I don't know but google came up with this:

Cumin seeds would be the most common, and the two are often confused in recipes and when translating from foreign languages. The flavour would be reminiscent of curry.

Other flavours substitutes would include star anise, anise, and cardamom; these are all quite strongly flavoured and you should try half the amount suggested for caraway.

Celery seed has a mild flavour that might be preferred to caraway in bread. Sesame and poppy seeds are used in both sweet baking and savory items.

Just substitute whatever you like best, or leave it out entirely. It won't be the same as caraway, but it will still be good.

Hope this helps!

Scan0004

We're way past your urgency, but if you have dill seed, I'd consider it. Really depends on what you're making.

I'd just leave them out. I happen to passionately dislike caraway seeds, and though I don't know what you are making, I'd assume they are an addition rather than a necessary flavor component.