🔎

• 8

• 1098

How do I reduce the heat in my chili in which I used a scotch bonnet pepper by mistake?

Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

This questin was asked awhile ago and although a scotch bonnet pepper wasn't included, the answers are very useful. http://www.food52.com/hotline...

Buddhacat
SKK added over 2 years ago

I mean to write question, not questin. Praying for the edit function to come back.

nutcakes added over 2 years ago

Everyone understands the intent of your answer regardless of a typo, don't worry

nutcakes added over 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

You can't really take heat out. You can dilute it only. Best way: make another batch without chile, then combine the two. Next best: dilute the chile with tomatoes, beans and the other ingredients. Other options are to sere it with cooling ingredients, like a sour cream topper and avocado chunks.

wietje added over 2 years ago

Agree with nutcakes. You can also add some (brown) sugar, but of course it depends on the kind of dish you're making. Just increase the other "tastes" (sweet, sour, salty) to the dish to reduce the heat.

emilyfrommaine added over 2 years ago

I would also consider adding corn and beer - a nice rich dark one- in lieu of sugar. I've tried guinness and a small batch Sam Adams porter and I preferred the Porter. Also, super labor intensive and not very traditional chili like BUT you could consider making a roué in a separate pan and stirring that in- cook the flour well to keep your clarity of flavors though.

Photo_00004
OlgaMarie added over 2 years ago

I would take a cue from the Peruvians and the Mexicans who cool off their hotter than hell cuisine with milk products. Cheese, yogurt, sour cream might help a little bit. good luck.

Dsc_0122.nef-1
Panfusine added over 2 years ago

I'd try adding some dairy based product to reduce the intesity of the heat..