🔎

• 5

• 5345

• See other questions tagged:
    • veggies

How long can you keep fresh garlic cloves?

Sam1148 added over 2 years ago

Until they sprout, or dry out. And IMHO even if they sprout they're still good. When they're dry they're done.

What you do NOT want to do is pack them in oil. Garlic in oil stored, is a breeding ground for botulism.

Chris_in_oslo

It's so variable! The problem is not just drying out, but also mold or brown spots. You can trim them, but there's a limit. Shelf life can be days, or it can be months.

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added over 2 years ago

They'll tell you when their days are numbered. As long as they are still plump and crisp w/no visible sprouting. Even if they've sprouted a little, just cut open and remove the germ (sprout).

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870
Helen's All Night Diner added over 2 years ago

I agree with the recommendations above. I usually keep my garlic in the freezer in zip top bags. They thaw in no time on the counter.

The thing about the green germ/sprout is that it's really bitter. You can buy peeled cloves in a jar for convenience but they go off fairly quickly, so unless you use garlic (and a lot of garlic----say, you have a vampire problem) every day it's not a good purchase.