I'm baking a cake for my friend's bday. Usually I use all-purpose, unbleached organic flour, but this recipe calls for cake flour. What is

asked by ubs2007 over 2 years ago

...your question? :) If you are looking for substitution, the answer would be to add some cornstarch or potato flour, but I am not certain of the exact ratio.

Gator_cake

Cake flour is a soft wheat flour - meaning it's lower in protein - so it produces a more tender cake. To substitute with AP flour combine 7/8 cup AP flour with 2 T cornstarch.

Thank you very much! Most of my cakes use ap flour and they turn out super moist due to buttermilk and technique of alternating flour and buttermilk in the mixing process. This is the first time I'm using cake flour!

I usually do like hardlikearmour says but I whiz them together in the food processor to give it a lighter, sifted consistency. Not sure if it makes any difference at all.