🔔
🔎

Best cookbook(s) for someone new to cooking?

A friend of mine is newly single and needs/wants to learn to cook for herself. She requested cookbook recommendations and my first thought was How to Cook Everything, by Mark Bittman, but I was wondering what y'all would recommend. Thanks!

asked by vivanat almost 3 years ago

A lot depends on her skill level. If she is a true beginner get a basic cookbook that contains a lot of pictures and simple recipes. It should have a section on How To, such as How to Braise etc so she can learn the basics.

One of my favorites is Lynne Rosetto Kasper's How to Eat Supper. The stories are delightful, the recipes are not at all intimidating, and the explanations are just right.

Nog

My mom's standard gift to her children as they headed out of the nest was Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. Pretty much covers the gamut from how long to boil a hard-boiled egg to what temperatures to cook proteins to. Great go-to resource that I still use regularly.

Mark Bittman's book might be a bit overwhelming for a complete beginner, given that it contains 2,400 recipes. One I like for beginners is Jane Hornby's What to Cook and How to Cook It from Phaidon. 100 recipes for good basic foods, with clear step-by-step photos.

Best basic? Betty Crocker's new 10th edition. Clear instructions, tested recipes, new sections on vegetarian cooking and grilling. The others listed above are good but perhaps not for real beginners.

Buddhacat

Shirley O. Corriher's COOKWISE. The recipes are not only great and fool-proof, but she explains the principles behind the success of the recipe. And the pictures are pretty!

Photo_on_2014-07-11_at_6.17_pm

For reading, Nigella Lawson's How To Eat, for quick cooking Nigella Express and for everything else The Essential New York Times Cookbook by Amanda Hesser, for once your girlfriend is wanting to cook more.

I also like the transaltion of the book that French mothers give their daugthers. It is called "I know how to cook" in Engllish. I have found it incredibly helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Know...

Oh and I second the Cookwise recommendation. I attended a demonstration class that she did and it was fantastic. Be careful of the first edition, though, there are some slight weirdnesses with quantities (especially in the "Touch of Grace" biscuits

Adg_specialists_pictures_215
gt9

I am enjoying Tamar Adler's An Everlasting Meal...gave it to my daughter also and she is cooking up a storm.

Me_in_munich_with_fish

I just discovered this book and it is absolutely fabulous. It inspired me in a way that no book about cooking has in a long, long time. Great for thinking frugally as well as creatively. Highly recommend.

Don't forget Julia Child's "The Way to Cook"...it's beautifully photographed, and instructions are clear.
While might not be a lot of 'quick start' recipes. It's very sound and still referred to my home for 'master recipes'.
Plus...you can find it cheap at 'cutout' sections, or used book store.

In fact...go to a thrift, or used book store and look at some of the Better Homes and Garden books, Sunset Magazine, etc..etc. You could get a dozen books for the price of a new one.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

A magazine subscription to Everyday Food and online membership for Cooks Illustrated.

P1291120

These are all fabulous ideas. Personally, for the true beginner, I find the "Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook" is hard to beat (great illustrations that walk through nearly every step; good photos of the final product; easy to understand time estimates both for active and total time). That's my real basic, 101, recommendation. Slightly more advanced for the cook with reasonable confidence is Julia's "The Way to Cook". The Good Housekeeping is good, "basic" food, while Julia takes everything to the next level (although does so in such a great, easy to understand, way). I've never read the Mark Bittman, but based on everyone's recommendation, I may have to! "Cookwise" is a GREAT book, but not what I'd recommend for a true beginner -- UNLESS that beginner is a science-type who will be totally excited by the explanations of how everything works (I geek out on that but also know many of my non-science friends find it boring and can inhibit use). Anyhow, those are my thoughts! For the beginning cook, it really is all about building confidence, so starting with the easy almost fool-proof recipes and explanations really makes a difference, IMHO. :)

Kari_2010

The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook is great for the beginner - not too fancy, easy to follow, very instructional, and 3-ring bound so it's easy to work with while cooking. Absolutely everything I've tried from it has turned out well. I am not a very confident cook so I like to follow a recipe for my first time with a dish and then I will tweak it on the next try so I really like this book to give me a base from which to work.

Junechamp

the book I always buy beginning cooks is Julia Child's "The Way to Cook." The book is full of cooking lessons, photos of recipes and methods, tips for substitutions, just everything you could ever think of wanting to know about a dish. She also takes a basic dish and does riffs on it.

Yes....I agree it's one of my well worn reference books. Like others have said it might be "level II" for a beginner.
While we're very much focused on from scratch cooking. Ceil Dryer has some good ones for complete beginners.
http://www.amazon.com/s...

One I had in college was his "Instant Gourmet" (that's out of print) that used both ready made and fresh stuff. As a kid, it gave me more confidence to take those elements and combine and create.
I remember one recipe that was simply canned asparagus, chicken stock (then blend it after heating) to make a soup...and dress it up with sourcreme. Yeah, people here would gag, but with a hot plate and little skills--it worked for me.
And I still use his suggestion of making a pate with a few slices of bunshweigher, heat it, mash it with some butter and touch of A1 sauce and mold it to make a 'almost' Pâté. With a plate of fruits and cheese and water crackers..it was it at back in college days.

Ruhlman's 20. Wonderfully written. Very grounded in well-explained techniques that will help her to learn to cook, then learn to create her very own dishes.

Imag0055

The new "Cooks Illustrated: 200 Recipes from 20 Years....." is excellent. The lengthy commentary of the magazine is pared down to a good explanatory headnote for each recipe.