🔎

• 5

• 1824

I'm planning to roast butternut squash and parsnips; would fresh dill go well with this?

Chef KC added about 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

I would recommend rosemary, dill would be a little different for that. And if you want to take it just a little bit further, roast it in truffle oil with cashews, it is delicious ;)

Chris_in_oslo

My own thoughts would also be more likely to go in the direction of thyme or rosemary, as I think of dill as a little delicate for roasted winter squash and parsnips. But if you like those flavors, go ahead. But one caveat--while Id maybe roast the vegetables with thyme and rosemary, I'd add the dill at the end so that it doesn't burn.

Imag0055
mainecook61 added about 2 years ago

Dill and butternut squash/parsnips don't really inhabit the same seasons. The flavor of dill won't hold up in the roasting, either. Save the dill for something that likes dill (peas, cucumbers.......). Winter savory is also nice, in addition to the above suggestions.

Lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby added about 2 years ago

Also sage is nice. Lots of recipes with those ingredients in the last contest

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added about 2 years ago

As others have said, rosemary seems a better choice. It has a sharp piney-ness that I think complements these sweet winter vegetables better. I think of dill with springy salad-like ingredients + maybe yogurt or sour cream.