🔎

• 5

• 1625

Porcini mushrooms....dried vs fresh

Can someone explain why you would purchase dried porcini mushrooms over fresh? Is the effort worth the payoff?

KimW added about 2 years ago

Fresh porcini mushrooms are hard to find and they don't last long. If you can find them and use them that day it is amazing!

jmburns added about 2 years ago

I agree with Kim fresh are like hens teeth around where I live. I have been very happy with the dried. Mushroom are one of the few items the reconstitute well after drying.

Chrissylrat added about 2 years ago

I have been very happy with dried porcini bought in bulk online. Reconstitute in hot water, strain and use the broth in a savory sauce or as liquid for risotto.

I agree with all of the above. I love the intense, smoky flavor of dried porcinis. When reconstituted in hot water, the soaking liquid is as valuable in terms of flavor as the mushrooms.

Nmsprofile
nonreactivepan added about 2 years ago

you can also buy frozen porcini mushrooms from some grocers (I get mine here in sf http://store.farwestfungi...). once roasted to defrost, these taste amazing in place of the dried ones. but, i do use the dried ones reconstituted in red or white wine and they are awesome.