Can I substitute cake flour for all purpose flour?

I need to make cookies and I'm out of all purpose flour. I have a box of cake flour that I would love to use instead of getting in the car. Thanks!

asked by ourlastsupper over 2 years ago
Hilary_sp1

If you are just making a substitution and not trying to alter the results, you will likely need to use a touch more cake flour than you would AP flour. if the recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups AP Flour, I'd do 2 3/4 cups cake flour. If you are playing around with the recipe, trying to achieve a different goal- like a softer cookie, more delicate crumb- you will have to play around with the amount of flour. The best way to know how much cake flour to use would be to get a kitchen scale out. Weigh out a cup of AP and a cup of cake flour. Keep adding cake flour until it reaches the weight of the AP.

3-bizcard

It is softer and has a lower protein content but I have heard you can: To substitute cake flour for all-purpose flour use 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour for every cup of all-purpose flour

Read more: http://www.joyofbaking...

Because of the lower protein content of cake flour compared to AP (7% vs. 10%), I'd suggest also adding an extra egg.