🔎

freezing fresh ginger

Can I freeze ginger? What's the best way to do so? Peel on? Whole? etc.

Klweaver added about 2 years ago

I have it in the freezer now. Whole, peel on, in ziploc.

Scan0004
susan g added about 2 years ago

I learned about this from Hotline, in the Foodpickle days. It is such a relief to have it in there waiting for me. Peeling (spoon scraping method) is really easy when it is frozen. Ginger has been joined by some fresh turmeric; same issues, same solution.

Lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby added about 2 years ago

It also grates easily on a micro plane zest er when frozen!

nutcakes added about 2 years ago

Grate while it is frozen. My daughter thawed to grate it and thought I was crazy to freeze it at all, it is lousy to grate or use except for pressing when thawed.

LLStone added about 2 years ago

I have frozen ginger both peeled and unpeeled. I found peeling it easier at room temperature, plus I like taking it out of the freezer ready to use. I freeze mine in 2-3 inch pieces.

ATG117 added about 2 years ago

thanks all! I never use a whole nob. Looking forward to becoming a ginger freezer.

Sadie_crop
Diana B added about 2 years ago

You didn't ask, but when I have ginger left over, I put it in a jar, cover it with sherry, and stick it in the fridge. It retains its texture for quite a while (and you have lovely ginger-flavored sherry to put in soups, etc.).