🔎

Can egg yolks be saved or frozen for later use. How about whites? Always feel wasteful to throw out the opposite of the recipe.

Voted the Best Answer!

Yes! Both can easily be frozen, thawed and used. To freeze yolks, be sure to first whisk them together, then freeze them. There is a membrane surrounding the yolk which tends to toughen by being frozen, then turn to clumps when thawed. That said, even though I whisk yolks before freezing, I still pass them through a fine sieve with a spatula after they're thawed. Whites are fine being frozen just as they are.

cookinalong added about 2 years ago

Also, it's a good idea to label the container with the number of yolks and, of course, the date!

Good point, cookinalong. For reference, the average large (the size all recipes are predicated upon, unless otherwise specified) EW is equal to 1 fluid ounce, and the average EY equals .66 of a fluid ounce. If you know that, you can translate back into number quantities. If a recipe calls for 6 EW, you need 6 fluid ounces of EW. If a recipe calls for 4 EY, you need 2 2/3 ounces fluid of EY.

Imag0055
mainecook61 added about 2 years ago

When I get 16 oz. of frozen whites, I thaw and make an angel food cake.

Face
allans added about 2 years ago

i always freeze my whites or yolks separately. whites are saved for angel food cake, (measured by volume, and the yolks are saved in groups of 3 for Bearnaise sauce