🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Kicharee -- When I rinsed the dal, the water turned yellow.

4a9f4e0c cc0d 11e5 8d08 3c15c2d2bb38  45 full

I have a question about the ingredient "Split Green Mung Dal (available at Indian grocers)" on the recipe "Kicharee" from Lena S..
Why would the rinse water be yellow? The dal was from Thailand, and looked normal. Nothing was listed in the ingredients except 'mung dal.' Could it be a turmeric derivative, to preserve and protect from insects?

asked by susan g over 4 years ago
0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

You maybe right that the Dal might have a spray of tumeric to boost color. I really don't know. But I do know that the yellow dal really doesn't retain it's yellow color after cooking---more a pale light blond for the product I use.

792c49de 9d99 48d8 b7c6 dae342ba2d95  lena pescados capitales

Hi - I wonder the same thing - it could be coated with some colour - or it could be dust of the dal from processing - only say this because usually if you rinse or soak dal the water gets a bit murky - I usually rinse all my dals until the water is clear. To be honest - not sure!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Thanks, Sam and Lena. I thought of another possibility. I know that green split peas, yellow splits and red lentils (masoor dal) like to stick together when they are rinsed. Maybe this is a coating of some kind of oil to prevent that. Certainly seemed like something was added and not labeled. I know what you mean, Lena, about the dust, but I don't think that would be this color.