A question about a recipe: Flank Steak on Texas Toast with Chimichurri

Food52_07-25-11-220

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Flank Steak on Texas Toast with Chimichurri" from sdebrango. It says:

"Remove steak from refrigerator approximately 45 minutes before you are going to cook it. Scrape off some of the chimichurri, salt the steak and let rest. While steak is resting prepare the other ingredients: slice tomato, slice bread in 1-inch thick slices, mix the mayonnaise and chimichurri."

asked by Marie McGregor over 2 years ago

I think it means to salt the steak and let rest 45 mins before cook.
The popular opinion (which I agree with and has been proven) is that steak should be a room temp before cooking. Salt should be done at least 45 mins prior to cooking. Salt draws out moisture of the steak...a long salting time, allows the moisture to retreat back into the steak, carrying the salt to the interior of the steak.
Then you cook...and after cooking rest it (Again) for 5 mins.

3-bizcard

Thanks Sam I didn't realize what the question was. I feel the same way when the tomatoes are in season I'll be making it also! Thanks so much.

3-bizcard

Hi Marie, I am happy to answer your question but I don't see the question. Let me know so I can help.

When tomatoes come back in season...I'm going to be making this. Added to my recipe collection here...thanks for the reminder!