How do bakery's make their whipped cream stiff enough for cakes instead of using buttercream?

asked by foidivin over 2 years ago

You can add gelatin to it - like this, or you can google gelatin whipped cream for others:

Do you have a recipe for this?

There is a powdered stabilizer that is commonly used. I can't recall what it consists of, but I don't care for it. By itself, I find it smells vaguely of alfalfa with notes of manure. Not to put too fine a point on it. But the whipped cream looks great and will hold at room temp.

And, don't forget Food52's own Genius Recipe from Nancy Silverton: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Sdebrango:: can I use this method for egg whites when making meringue? It worked great with the whipped cream!

3-bizcard

Glad it worked, you cannot use the same method when making meringue. The best way to make meringue is to place the egg whites and sugar in a bowl over simmering water and whisk until the sugar melts much like when you are making a buttercream. When the egg whites are warm and sugar has melted beat either in your stand mixer or with a hand held. Your meringue will be shiny and smooth.

3-bizcard

Here is a link to the recipe I use for swiss meringue its from Martha Stewart and works well every time. Your meringue is a creamy consistency so that you can pipe it onto the pie or whatever you are making. <a href="http://www.marthastewart.com/313300/swiss-meringue" target="_blank">http://www.marthastewart.com/313300/swiss-meringue</a>

Won't work, per sdebrango. Consider the science: two different processes are at at work. Whipping cream is essentially emulsifying the fats in the cream and incorporating air; meringue is essentially stretching the proteins in the whites and incorporating air.

there actually is an old recipe that uses marshmallow cream to make meringue:
3 large egg whites
Beat till stiff.
1 c. (4 oz.) marshmallow cream
Beat in a large spoonful at a time, till whites hold soft peaks that curl slightly.
2 tsp. vanilla
Blend in.
Swirl over pie, sealing to edge of crust.
Bake at 450° or till lightly browned.
Recipe can be doubled (e.g. for recipes that use 6 egg whites for meringue).
It's a quick way to make meringue, and though it's supposedly a way to make meringue that's less likely to weep, I don't think it's more stable than the traditional meringue topping, which I prefer.

Gelatin to make stabilized whipped cream -- lasts several days before getting watery.

The most common thing I knew everybody used was cream of tartar.

Many bakeries use pastry cream which is made with whole milk rather than either whipped cream or buttercream. Karen Mitchell has great recipe from her Model Bakery in her fabulous new book The Model Bakery Cookbook.